One Big Ministry Rule That You Should Break

For the last century or so there has been a rule of thumb that says that a pastor should not get involved with the process of finding or training his successor. Just hand the keys over to the board or search committee, and they will take over from there. You don’t need to talk about it, worry about it, or plan for it. Just treat it like a death: pretend it won’t happen to you, and then let someone else deal with things when it does.

But what reasons are given for this old rule of thumb?

• Some say you should quietly step aside and let the church decide what it wants in their next pastor. In other words, “no one really likes you, and we can’t wait until you finally leave so we can get someone better.” This is probably true at some churches, but there might be a few churches that actually like their pastor and value his input.
  • Some say that pastors shouldn’t pick their successor because they don’t understand what kind of leader the church really needs next. In other words, “You’ll just screw things up, dude.” By the time you get to be retirement age, you are so old and out of touch that you shouldn’t even be allowed to pick out the clothes you wear, let alone who the next pastor will be. I’m sure that there really are some very out of touch and feeble pastors, but that might not be all of you. It’s possible that you’ve gained some wisdom with your age and experience.
  • Some say that the pastor shouldn’t be involved in the succession process because that will make them too much like a monarch dictating who should be next in line for the throne. You don’t want people to think you’re a mini-Stalin, do you? There are probably pastors who have an unhealthy need to be controlling and are primarily concerned with their own power. But it is also possible that some of you out there aren’t trying to protect your empire, but build the Kingdom of God.

So then, what should we make of the above reasons for keeping a pastor out of the process of finding or training his successor? Well, if you, as a pastor, are indeed ineffective, disconnected, and arrogant, then perhaps you should not be leading your church through anything anymore. If this is you, then I’m going to go ahead and give you permission to resign right now. Thanks for all your help, but we’ll take over from here. Just leave the keys on your desk when you leave. Your church will be just fine without you. You don’t have to read the rest of this; it’s not really for you.

Okay, now that those pastors are gone, I want to take a minute to talk to the rest of you. You are a pastor who loves your church and is respected. You are a pastor who serves with humility and grace. You are a pastor who leads and casts vision, reminding people of the mission that Jesus gave you. You are a pastor who understands that you are a steward of the church, and you want to leave it better than you found it.

If you are that kind of pastor, then I want to encourage you to not be afraid to lead your church through the inevitable leadership transition that will one day happen. Don’t just drop the mic and walk away. Don’t just set a date and hope a search committee can fill the leadership void that you leave (you’ve already learned that committees are not great leaders). Don’t leave the job of succession planning up to anyone else. It is your job! Whoever keeps saying that it isn’t your job isn’t talking to you, they are talking to those other guys who are not very good pastors anyway and don’t have the ability to lead well. But that doesn’t apply to you!

Blindly following that old rule has led to too many churches to struggle and suffer-even die-after a leadership transition because the process was handled so poorly. The solution isn’t to build a better search committee, but for pastors to understand that their leadership is vitally important at that vulnerable point in the life of a church. There is a need for education and vision casting and equipping and grace and patience to be shown by the outgoing pastor so that the incoming pastor has a chance to succeed.

In recent years, more books and articles are being written that encourage pastors to break that old rule and lead through transition. These include Next, The Leadership Baton, and The Elephant in the Board Room. All of these awesome books begin with the idea that the pastor already knows it is his job to help guide his church through a leadership transition. They all offer some great advice on how to accomplish that goal more successfully.

The problem is that too many pastors don’t think that succession is their responsibility. They are still following that old, outdated, ineffective rule of thumb. My prayer is that by encouraging pastors to no longer be disconnected from the process of succession, their churches will be healthier and stronger. I don’t think that a drop in attendance, giving, and ministry needs to be an inevitable part of a leadership change. A good leader will boost his successor to even greater heights of ministry success.

The best rule of thumb is still the simple instruction that Paul gave to Timothy, The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.” 2 Timothy 2:2

About Andy Flowers

Andy has served as the senior pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in Woodland, California since 2007. He graduated from the Doctor of Ministry program at Western Seminary in 2016. Andy is the author of Leading Through Succession: Why Pastoral Leadership is the Key to a Healthy Transition.

12 thoughts on “One Big Ministry Rule That You Should Break

1. You bet Travis! I just have to finish writing it first. I hope to have it all completed and printed by March.

1. Too bad this wasn’t written 10 years ago……our large church has suffered split after split since our only Sr. Pastor (who founded the church and built it up to be a light in the world for over 40 years) became ill and eventually died. It was painful enough losing this visionary pastor, but, even more painful with all that has happened since the new pastor was called. And, it happened precisely because the Session was NOT educated/trained (it wasn’t allowed to be discussed because God would take care of it), hence, the pulpit search committee wasn’t trained. BIG MISTAKE! God IS in control and praise His name: at least two new vibrant congregations have formed and while the mother church has struggled for 5 years and has now lost the called pastor , we know that God can still work this out for His good – and we still pray for that congregation. Interestingly enough, all but two of the pulpit search committee (of 14) now attend other churches. That speaks volumes. Godly education and training is so important……..

2. In the small business world, the owner usually stays on for 6 months to help the new owners (managers/pastor) with the transition. Maybe it doesn’t need that much time, but the transitions in our churches have been pretty sad. There isn’t any rhyme or reason. Just this alone has got to take another 3 months to get things rolling.

There’s are reason all our churches (vt) aren’t doing well. We need better training, Pastors, Lay Leaders and Most importantly Trustees and committee members, of which I’ve yet to see any training on and the only way someone will leave a position, is if they leave this earth.

3. Andy, I have to say, I’m pastor of a church where the retiring pastor before me and the associate pastor were both involved in the transition and both “blessed” me as the next pastor….. And it has worked out to be one of the worst pastoral transitions I’ve ever even heard about. I’ll post some reasons why when I’m not on my phone. The heart of it, though, was, though well intentioned, both saw me as a vehicle to pusue their own ideas of where the church should go and what it should be like. Neither could truly let go of leadership (one still can’t 3 years later).

1. TJ, I’m sorry about how things have worked out. No method of transition can work if the outgoing pastor can’t let go. The book “Next” has a number of similar stories about pastors who wanted to keep control. That book claims that everything rises and falls on what the outgoing pastor does. I think they hit the nail on the head. Someday you will be the one transitioning out. Make sure that you do it in a way that is filled with humility and grace!

4. I agree 100%. As a Intentional Interim, I have seen disaster after disaster when the pastor walks away. I even have seen it when the church I am interning leaves me out and then comes to me the day after a positive vote only to say, “I think we made a huge mistake.” Dan Sutherland wrote about this a long time ago and I go back and read his 2000 book, “Transitioning” again and again

5. Pastors come and Pastors go and the length of tenure impacts the transition, but more importantly the nature of a pastor’s ministry during his tenure impacts the transition. In churches where the pastor is doing the ministry promoted by Paul to Timothy transitions between pastors is healthier. It seems to me, in those churches leadership isn’t pastor focused. Culturally in many churches the pressure is for the pastor to do the ministry rather than equip the saints for the work of ministry, this includes vision casting, goal setting, preaching and teaching, evangelism and discipleship. “The pastor” is seen as “the leader” and the church looks to them for setting the sails and navigating direction for ministry. The time for pastors to be thinking and planning for their exit should be at the beginning of their tenure not the end. Leadership development, the replicating of leaders in the congregation should have as much if not more energy and effort put into it as preparing sermons, visiting the sick, caring for the grieving or counseling the troubled and evangelizing the lost. When a pastor takes the time, from the get go, to equip leadership in seeking God and his vision/mission for the church and helps them learn how to set goals and develop outcome measures for life on mission then you’ve already broken the rule.

Andy, thanks for encouraging Pastors to be counter cultural!

6. Andy, thanks for this excellent article, which I discovered linked to Dr. Marc Cortez’ fabulous blog “Everyday Theology.” As a senior pastor’s wife, I could not agree more. After a long ministry and at 62 +, my husband and I are actively discussing how to finish strong and “leave well,” and our biggest concern is doing all we can to ensure that our present place of ministry is in the best possible place. We call it the “Campground Philosophy of Ministry” – leave the site better than you found it. You expressed our heart so well – many thanks!