The Christmas Quiz Show
Have you ever listened to National Public Radio’s weekly news program, “Wait, Wait … Don’t Tell Me?” I have developed a Christmas edition of this program for students of the Bible. See how many of these questions you can answer. Then share this quiz with your family and friends. You may want to add some questions of your own. But don’t make them too difficult! This should be an enjoyable learning experience.
- Which Old Testament prophet announced the birth place of the promised Messiah?
- Which Old Testament prophet announced that Jesus would be born of a virgin?
- From which Old Testament prophet did Jesus draw his favorite self-designation, “Son of Man”?
- In what tribal territory is the city of Bethlehem located?
- Bethlehem was the birth place of what famous king?
- What was the name of the angel who announced to Mary that she would be the mother of Jesus the Messiah?
- How far did Joseph and Mary have to travel from Nazareth to Bethlehem?
a) 50 miles
b) 80 miles
c) 120 miles
- Who visited Joseph and Mary on the night of Jesus’ birth?
a) the shepherds
b) the wise men
- According to the Bible, how many wise men visited Jesus?
d) the Bible does not say
- Which Old Testament prophet predicted Rachel’s weeping for the slaughtered children of Bethlehem?
- Where did Joseph take his family eight days after the birth of Jesus?
- Which Old Testament prophet announced that Jesus would come “out of Egypt”?
- Which Gospel records the visit by the shepherds?
- Which Gospel records the visit by the “magi” or wise men?
- Who was the first man in Jerusalem to recognize that Jesus was the promised Messiah?
b) John the Baptist
- Who was the first woman in Jerusalem to recognize that Jesus was the promised Messiah?
- Jesus grew up in which city?
- Who ruled the Roman Empire when Jesus was born?
a) King Herod
- What does the name “Jesus” mean?
c) Yahweh saves
- Who was the original Santa Claus?
a) An elf who lives at the North Pole
b) the Bishop of Myra
- Who selected December 25 as the day for Christmas?
a) Santa Claus
b) Apostle Paul
c) Pope Julius
- Which Christian group banned the observance of Christmas?
a) Early Catholics
- When is Christmas observed according to Eastern Orthodox tradition?
a) Dec. 25
b) Dec. 31
c) Jan. 6
- 80 miles
- The Bible does not say
- All three: Salvation, Joshua, Yahweh Saves
- Bishop Myra
- Pope Julius
- January 6th